Tuesday 21 October 2014

Here Comes Half Term - 5 things to do

So we are nearly at the finish line of the first half of term one. I'm not quite sure why it feels like the time has passed so quickly given that this first half term has been life changing. In these last few weeks we've discovered jolly phonics and numicons, we've realised just how busy the roads are at 8.30am and 3pm, and have been surprised to learn that most 4 and 5 year olds are gifted with more dexterity and self control than we previously gave credit for or dared to discover for ourselves.
            Crossing the finish line 

I've been fortunate to have hit the "I don't want to go to school" wall only once so far. However I am no stranger to the after school challenge where by mummy gets  everything so wrong. Things like forgetting the Thomas the Tank engine umbrella ( it wasn't even raining); forgetting the helmet ( ok fair enough, I left in a hurry); talking to the other mums for too long, thereby wasting precious walking home time; and after a long day at school, serving up the wrong food.

So with half term upon us there's a part of me that just wants to relax and not rush around for anything. But there's also a part of me that is addicted to routine and therefore I need to have some kind of schedule in place. (Besides two young children will never permit an entire week of relaxation). So inspired by a half term planner I saw on netmums.com, I thought I'd loosely plan some half term activities.
 
1. A trip to London to fulfil that London bus fascination - probably to the natural history museum - hello dinosaurs
                 A London bus

2. Visit the local museum - 20 mins drive for a free day out with arts and crafts and musical instruments. This should please both children and the purse.

3. Crèche - mummy still needs gym time even at half term. A gym session will re-energise me for mum duty. Besides both children seem to enjoy the fact that this is something they can do together, parent free.

4. A day of boredom at home because boredom breeds innovation and creativity. I'm hopeful but can't deny a little nervousness.




5. A play date - a long awaited catch up with friends from nursery. I wonder if previous best friends can still hold this title after being apart for weeks.

Making this list only serves up a realisation that we will probably have another busy week. These 5 items don't even include the School Halloween disco, the party on Saturday followed by another party on Sunday. 

The business of parenting is relentless work!


What have you got planned for planned half term?

No comments:

Post a Comment